[rpd] Legacy addresses in Afrinic region

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Thu Feb 14 18:50:05 UTC 2019

Colleagues,

It has seemed to me that there has been a lack of information in some of
the policy debates. I finally got around to looking up how much legacy
address space is in the Afrinic region.

When Afrinic was founded, legacy address space was transferred to it
from RIPE-NCC. I think address space from ARIN had already been
transferred to RIPE-NCC before that, so the RIPE-Afrinic transfer was
all of it, but I'm not completely certain, and if anyone else remembers
better, please correct me.

The list of legacy IPv4 addresses transferred is at
https://www.afrinic.net/services/220-erx-transfer and also
https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/legacy-resources/erx/transferred-resources

A total of 271,604 legacy IPv4 addresses was transferred.

Within this series were three Class B blocks (/16s) currently registered
to the European Space Agency, Sweden, and IDSC in Egypt. There was also
one /17 currently registered to TE Data in Egypt.

Distribution of the blocks:

  * Three Class Bs (/16s)
  * One /17
  * One /19
  * One /21
  * One block of six /24s
  * Seven blocks of five /24s
  * Four /22s
  * Eleven /23s
  * Forty-six /24s
  * One /26 (!?)

Unless there were separate legacy block transfers from ARIN or APNIC, or
other addresses have been re-registered into Afrinic since its founding,
this is the total of legacy address space in the region.

I hope this is useful information to the community.

Regards,

Lee