[rpd] Opposing the last call made on the review policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Dec 2 02:24:51 UTC 2018

While I agree that IPv6 has its warts, calling it “deeply flawed” is a bit of an exaggeration, IMHO.

I would argue that the IPv6 warts, such as they are at this time, are no worse than those on IPv4 25 years after IPv4 was introduced. In most cases, they’re the same warts we live with today in IPv4.

Are there some issues of scale that don’t show up in IPv4 as a practical matter since we don’t have giant IPv4 subnets… Yes, there are (neighbor table exhaustion attacks come to mind), but, I will point out that this issue does actually exist in IPv4 if you create a similarly large IPv4 subnet. Primary difference is that it’s next to impossible to create a useful IPv4 /16 subnet in a single collision domain, let alone a /-32 (same number of addresses as an IPv6 /64).

Owen