[rpd] Policy Proposal Update - Inter-RIR Resource Transfers v2

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Nov 28 20:14:34 UTC 2018

> On Nov 28, 2018, at 12:08 PM, Willy MANGA <mangawilly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Le 21/11/2018 à 13:47, Sami Salih a écrit :
>> Dears AFRINIC PDWG Members,
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

>> The Authors of the policy proposal (Inter-RIR Resource Transfers) has submitted an update to the proposal document (v2). Please find the updates on the link below:
>>
>> https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2018-gen-003-d2
>
> From my understanding of this proposal :
>
> * it shall be restricted (for the moment) to
> merger/acquisition/relocation only

Only IPv6 and ASNs would be restricted.

> * Outbound transfer only from legacy space (as stated in the proposal)

That makes very little sense… I oppose any directional restriction in an inter-RIR policy.

> * No need to transfer IPv6

IPv6 would be allowed for M&A/Relocation under current proposal. It would not be allowed for other purposes.

> * about provision k) instead of one year, it should be higher : 3 years.
>

> On ASN side, if experienced people can give their opinion it may help
> appreciate this draft.

Currently ASN transfers are allowed between APNIC and RIPE. ARIN will likely soon implement a similar policy for ASNs (it has been forwarded to the board for adoption by the AC after completing last call). Personally, I opposed this policy during its development, but due to wide support from the community, I did vote to advance it to last call in the AC meeting after the ARIN public policy meeting in Vancouver, BC.