[rpd] Policy Proposal Update - Inter-RIR Resource Transfers v2

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed Nov 28 19:49:57 UTC 2018

Hi Willy,

See below, in-line.

Regards,
Jordi

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Willy MANGA <mangawilly at gmail.com>
Fecha: miércoles, 28 de noviembre de 2018, 20:41
Para: <rpd at afrinic.net>
Asunto: Re: [rpd] Policy Proposal Update - Inter-RIR Resource Transfers v2

    Hi Jordi,

    Le 27/11/2018 à 18:13, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ a écrit :
    > Hi Willy,
    >
    > A very simple one (I'm sure there may be other examples).
    >
    > A company moves from Europe to Africa (or moves from a DC in Europe to Africa). Never mind is the company or just the hosting service. May be because they have been acquired by an African company, but may be other reasons.
    >
    > Without this policy they need to renumber. They may be using their own IPv4, IPv6 and AS, for example with VMs. This is today very common.

    Moving data between two hosts means you need two different identifiers .
    The most important here is the DNS.
    Even if you want the same host on a different site, I'll say it depends.
    What matters here is : do we want numbers used within each RIR being
    registered in the local RIR? If yes, I may understand the rationale
    behind the transfer.
    If not, transfer is not mandatory.

Yes, that's the idea. For example, you deploy copies of the hosts in the new DC, with their own addresses, and use some synchronization process, may be even done with the hypervisor. Once you have copied everything, and all the servers are in-sync, you can shut-off the old DC and announce the new DC with the same AS an address in a different location. Think in anycast for the DNS ... is the same. There are many ways to achieve this, but at the end the ideas is that you are moving your business from RIPE to AfriNIC (for example), and you want to have your resources registered here.

    > If they move from Europe to other regions, they don't need to renumber.
    >
    > If we allow only transfering IPv4, then they will transfer IPv6 under the table, no doubt! It doesn't make sense.

    IPv6 is cheap (for the moment) :)

    > So the reason for allow AS and IPv6 transfers is not because scarcity, but because networks may be dual-stacked, you need to support that.

    Again don't forget you have DNS on top of numbers. Even for the
    management of network itself. It should be very helpful here.

    Of course I do not take into account all possible use cases.

This will be in an ideal world, everybody using DNS for everything ... tell all the app and web developers, not all them follow the good practices ...

    > By the way, thir morning I learned from Marco, the policy responsible from RIPE, that last week it was done the first ASN transfer from RIPE to APNIC. So this demonstrates, that it is a not usual case, but it happens. So why we must restrict those cases?

    This case (ASN transfer) need to be well defined. But I'll be in favor
    to restrict it to merger and acquisition only.

    --
    Willy Manga
    @ongolaboy