[rpd] Inter-RIR Resource

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Nov 27 17:31:52 UTC 2018

Hi Willy,

Please, see in-line.

Regards,
Jordi

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Willy MANGA <mangawilly at gmail.com>
Fecha: martes, 27 de noviembre de 2018, 18:03
Para: <rpd at afrinic.net>
Asunto: Re: [rpd] Inter-RIR Resource

    Hi,

    Le 27/11/2018 à 14:47, ABDULKARIM AYOPO OLOYEDE a écrit :
    > I kind off agree with Daniel Yakmut. This might be a way to force IPV6 into
    > Africa. Some part of me is also feels it has to be done carefully.

    Strictly speaking of IPv6 deployment, I do not think this policy would
    help in this way.

    We don't have to wait v4 exhaustion to start using v6.

Totally agree. In fact, you should do mucha head you exhaust IPv4!

    At the same time, stockpiling IPv4 blocks because some people may need
    it for their transition plan is not a wise approach from my point of
    view. How many networks have started a transition plan ?

Also agree. There is an urgent need for a transition plan, and that includes carefully considering an IPv6 addressing plan, among other things. No need to stockpile IPv6, BUT you need to have some to make the transition, even if you plan for an IPv6-only network.

I've published a couple of articles recently on this. People is doing things wrong with IPv6.
https://blog.apnic.net/2018/11/22/ipv6-for-governments-and-enterprises-case-study/
https://blog.apnic.net/2018/11/23/twelve-steps-to-enable-ipv6-in-government-and-organizational-networks/
or
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/jordipaletm/ipv6-for-governments-and-enterprises-a-case-study
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/jordipaletm/twelve-steps-to-enable-ipv6-in-government-and-organisational-networks

An extended version in PDF is available here:
https://www.lacnic.net/innovaportal/file/3052/1/ipv6-for-governments-in-12-steps-part-1.pdf
https://www.lacnic.net/innovaportal/file/3052/1/ipv6-for-governments-and-enterprises-impact-and-implementation-in-12-steps-part-2.pdf

I've authorized AfriNIC also to publish those in their own blog.

Also, a couple of previous articles, that were also published by AfriNIC:
https://www.afrinic.net/blog/247-twelve-steps-to-enable-ipv6-in-an-isp-network
https://www.afrinic.net/blog/277-simplifying-ipv6-addressing-of-customers

    My question to our community is : why do you want to keep v4 prefixes ?
    For transition ? Allow me to have a doubt. But I may be wrong. Maybe
    there are other arguments; I'd be happy to discuss them.

We don't have time to talk about this in the official meeting agenda, but if the staff can hold a room for us, I'm happy to hold a BoF to openly discuss this topic, so the people that haven't started having problems with lack of IPv4 addresses understand the situation and what is good and what is wrong in terms of strategies.

    I suggest AFRINIC community to focus on how to remove gradually v4 from
    their networks and use more v6 prefixes everywhere.

Exactly, this is part of the point, but is not that easy. I've tried to talk about this in the last couple of AfriNIC meetings, but didn't got an official slot for it, including hands-on.

    I may oppose to this policy only if people deeply think it will not help
    them deploy IPv6. Otherwise let this policy be approved and focus on
    IPv6 adoption and usage.

Hopefully the people understand the need and support it! Delaying it for the next meeting, or the next year is VERY bad for AfriNIC.

    --
    Willy Manga
    @ongolaboy