[rpd] New Policy Proposal - Inter-RIR Resource Transfers (AFPUB-2018-GEN-003-DRAFT01)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Nov 8 03:25:52 UTC 2018

Hi Marcus,

Jordi

De: "Marcus K. G. Adomey" <madomey at hotmail.com>
Fecha: jueves, 8 de noviembre de 2018, 0:30
Para: RPD <rpd at afrinic.net>, Sami Salih <sami.salih at outlook.com>, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
Asunto: Re: [rpd] New Policy Proposal - Inter-RIR Resource Transfers (AFPUB-2018-GEN-003-DRAFT01)

Hi Jordi,

Let us consider your two following statements and you will understand that your draft proposal is addressing no issue in our region rather in the other regions:

1. “This proposal is facilitating *any* IPv4 (and ASN) resources from other regions to be transferred to AfriNIC”.

OK.

That would have been good. It was suggested that as we are   later player, other RIRs (especially APNIC, ARIN, RIPE NCC) should allow IPv4 to flow freely  to the region.

The inbound transfer policy were abandoned due among other things to the  compatibility and reciprocity requirements imposed by them.

This is the difference with this proposal. It is not inbound, because that’s will be incompatible with the reciprocity requirement of some regions. However, at the same time only allows outbound for legacy resources, so protects the AfriNIC pool, and at the same time, reduces the number of worldwide resources that are legacy, which is good for the global community.

But, this region has addressed the need for IPv4 with the remaining AFRINIC pool and the Intra-RIR policy.

Sorry, but this is not sufficient, unfortunately. AfriNIC pool is not enough in a continent that needs to increase Internet penetration. If we don’t have an inter-RIR policy for AfriNIC, it will become more and more expensive to have internet for all in this continent. It also makes more expensive the transition to IPv6. As latest as you have it, less chances to get IPv4 resources, until the rest of the world IPv6-only. Any further delay is bad for Africa.

It has been raised here that, people don't want AFRICA to turn to new IPv4 paradise when the rest is investing in IPv6.

Use the v4 available within region to accommodate IPv6.

You  from the IPv6 company asks with your mail signature: “IPv4 is over, are you ready for the new Internet?"

Yes, but unfortunately, we can’t miracles. We can’t turn off IPv4 tonight and turn-on IPv6-only a couple of minutes after. There is a need for a transition period. As faster as we do that, cheaper it will be for all, but not everybody is doing the homework at the same pace …

2. “In the other direction *only* legacy IPv4 (and ASN) resources can be transferred from AfriNIC to other RIRs”.

Legacy are always free to move(in and out) and we encourage them to be used in the region and the intra-RIR transfer encourages them to join the normal AFRINIC pool.

This is not correct. According to all the policies, any kind of legacy transfers “converts” the resources in non-legacy, so it is not “totally free” to move them (they are free in the “origin” but not in the “destination”). I follow the same model in this proposal.

I am not sure that allowing legacy-only out of this region will make this region inter-RIR transfer compatible and reciprocal as required by them to allow the "any inbound".

So i don't see any new meat  here compared to the previous inbound transfer proposal and again, this is not solving a real problem for this region.

Being bi-directions is new, proposed rules are new.

Thanks

Marcus

Get Outlook for Android