[rpd] New Policy Proposal : SL-update (AFPUB-2018-v4-001-DRAFT-01)

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Mon Nov 5 11:53:50 UTC 2018

Hi,

how (under which policies) would any of that reserved /12 be used before
"AFRINIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address space" ?

I see no way how it can be used, since there seems no policy under which
in can be used. [1]

If that's true, the "If the reserved /12 remains unused" will be true.
That would ( i mean: will ) trigger the inclusaion of the reserved /12
into the normal phase 2 free pool.

the /12 will be reserved, there's no way (policy) how it could become
used, when it's needed it will be included into the free pool.

That means the same as if it was never there. Just more paperwork.

That means we could just as well remove 5.4.7 (incl 5.4.7.1 and 5.4.7.2).

Am I misunderstanding something?

Regards,
Frank

[1]
I'm pretty sure that absent any policy AfriNIC hostmasters would "do
nothing".

This would / could be removed:

5.4.7 IPv4 Address Space Reserve

5.4.7.1 A /12 IPv4 address block will be in reserve out of the final /8.
This /12 IPv4 address block shall be preserved by AFRINIC for some
future uses, as yet unforeseen. The Internet is innovative and we cannot
predict with certainty what might happen. Therefore, it is prudent to
keep this block in reserve, just in case some future requirement creates
a demand for IPv4 addresses.

5.4.7.2 When AFRINIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address
space (from the Final /8 or from any other available address space), the
Board may at its discretion and considering the demand and other factors
at the time replenish the exhaustion pool with whatever address space
(or part thereof) that may be available to AFRINIC at the time, in a
manner that is in the best interest of the community.