[rpd] Migrating quickly to IPv6

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Fri Jun 8 20:20:41 UTC 2018

On 06/08/2018 03:41 PM, Willy MANGA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 08/06/2018 à 17:28, Anne-vivien Paris a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>

>> Maybe we can take a look at the situation in China as a reference. Although
>> there are a number of problems in China(let’s say censorship), the
>> government has proved to be highly efficient in promoting the use of IPv6.
>> After the announcement of achieving 50% of IPv6 utilisation in 2020, IPv4
>> price drops significantly in the market. There is indeed a difference
>> between the situation in China and Africa which we cannot overlook, but the
>> example of China proves that government intervention is not necessarily
>> detrimental to the promotion of IPv6.
Is there any measurement that shows that China has achieved any level of
IPv6 deployment?

 From what I gather, the Chinese government paid the large three
carriers to deploy IPv6 to 1% in 2014, which they did for one day, and
turned it back off. I would like to see data saying this is no longer
the case, but until then I will remain skeptical about promises.

As of about 2014 or 2015 (the last time I looked, and I should go review
my notes), a government IPv6 mandate was negatively correlated with IPv6
deployment. That is, the stronger a government required IP deployment,
the lower the deployment level.

> I was not saying governments initiatives could not increase IPv6
> deployments. It was the other way instead.
>
> My only concern with them (to be exact with people involved) is that
> they tend to have more rights than duties towards citizen. Hopefully
> that's not always true.
>
>> Although the government in Africa is not efficient in this respect, the
>> adoption of IPv6 is beneficial for Africa since the current internet
>> penetration rate is low in region. This may be a nice opportunity for
>> Africa to be the leading country in the adoption of IPv6 adoption - IPv6,
>> rather than IPv4 can be widely employed for building up internet
>> infrastructure in the region. With efficient government intervention, the
>> migration of IPv6 can be an optimal solution to all parties.
> 'leading *continent* '  not 'country' ;) .
>
> Governments may help yes but it's much a matter of combined efforts who
> can prevail here in my humble opinion.

Africa is far from monolithic :-)

Characteristics I have found among the countries with the highest ISP
deployments:
1. One large incumbent deployed it (usually because one IPv6 champion
internally pushed it)
2. Individual firms had internal incentives to do so
3. Governments convened meetings of Internet companies to discuss IPv6
and the transition.
4. There's a local NOG or other group for engineers to discuss IPv6
5. There's an IPv6 "hero" in the community.

Countries with high levels of IPv6 adoption on web sites are often those
where the government required all of its web sites to use IPv6. That
forces web hosting companies to enable IPv6, and their upstreams to
enable IPv6, and then it's much easier for the next web site to do it.

Lee