[rpd] Migrating quickly to IPv6

Willy MANGA mangawilly at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:41:32 UTC 2018

Hi,

Le 08/06/2018 à 17:28, Anne-vivien Paris a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> Maybe we can take a look at the situation in China as a reference. Although
> there are a number of problems in China(let’s say censorship), the
> government has proved to be highly efficient in promoting the use of IPv6.
> After the announcement of achieving 50% of IPv6 utilisation in 2020, IPv4
> price drops significantly in the market. There is indeed a difference
> between the situation in China and Africa which we cannot overlook, but the
> example of China proves that government intervention is not necessarily
> detrimental to the promotion of IPv6.

I was not saying governments initiatives could not increase IPv6
deployments. It was the other way instead.

My only concern with them (to be exact with people involved) is that
they tend to have more rights than duties towards citizen. Hopefully
that's not always true.

> Although the government in Africa is not efficient in this respect, the
> adoption of IPv6 is beneficial for Africa since the current internet
> penetration rate is low in region. This may be a nice opportunity for
> Africa to be the leading country in the adoption of IPv6 adoption - IPv6,
> rather than IPv4 can be widely employed for building up internet
> infrastructure in the region. With efficient government intervention, the
> migration of IPv6 can be an optimal solution to all parties.

'leading *continent* '  not 'country' ;) .

Governments may help yes but it's much a matter of combined efforts who
can prevail here in my humble opinion.

--
Willy Manga
@ongolaboy