[rpd] Migrating quickly to IPv6

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Thu Jun 7 11:36:24 UTC 2018

On 06/06/2018 09:06 PM, Mukom Akong T. wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 at 00:21, <sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
> <mailto:sm%2Bafrinic at elandsys.com>> wrote:
>

>     There is an ICANN presentation about IPv6 deployment in several
>     countries.  It could be interpreted as IPv6 is not a replacement for
>     IPv4.
>

> Yes, Alain Durand of ICANN was saying this to everyone who cared to
> listen in Dakar and even said to me "You are lying" after I responded
> to a fellow that "IPv6 is the answer to IPv4 exhaustion"
>

> I would really much like to find that presentation where he makes that
> argument. I've been too shocked to respond because when you someone
> brazenly says something like that it means one of two things

I think it was fundamentally similar to
https://www.slideshare.net/apnic/ipv6-deployment-a-global-perspective

Slide 27 says:

* Until IPv6 reached [sic] XX penetration in YY countries, IPv4 will
remain relevant
    * (XX and YY may vary depending on business views)
* Until then, IPv6 is NOT a general replacement for IPv4.
* The IPv4 address market might be in here [sic] for the long run.

The fundamental problems with these points:
1. Nobody has ever said that IPv4 will be irrelevant before some
debatable level of penetration. That's attacking a straw man.
2. It ignores local realities. For many networks, YY countries doesn't
matter, only the sites (or networks or hosts etc.) their users hit. If
none of your users accesses smaller web sites in remote countries, then
you probably are willing to take the risk that someone might eventually.
3. Except that address translation exists, so you don't have to take
that risk. IPv6 can be a general replacement for IPv4 *in a given
network*, if combined with translation to IPv4.
4. It's strange that he mentions the address market out of the blue.

My guess is that content networks, including cloud and CDNs, will keep
buying IPv4 addresses for some years. Some, like Facebook and LinkedIn,
are deploying IPv6 inside their networks and providing translation at
the edge. Others may start doing that.
Access networks, such as ISPs, corporate networks, and universities,
will do what mobile providers have always done: some combination of
NAT64 (including 464xlat) and NAT44.

> a) They've stumbled on an insight that the IETF, the RIRs and others
> have missed
> b) Someone switched their meds :-)
>
> If anyone has a link to that presentation, please share.

Alain's statements seem to be inconsistent with ICANN's statements and
goals around IPv6:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ipv6-initiative-2017-02-28-en

I have copied a media contact for ICANN, hoping we can get clarification
on ICANN's position, represented to a conference in Asia in the slides
above, and in Africa in this conversation.
Here is the conversation thread for this Afrinic list:
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2018/008455.html

Thanks,

Lee Howard