[rpd] RIPE proposed changes to the routing registry

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Wed May 16 13:28:32 UTC 2018

Hi,

> Just confirming what we discussed off-list before:
>
>> What this means is – there are MANY AFRINIC members who have AFRINIC space, and are paying AFRINIC – who cannot use the AFRINIC routing registry – and are now going to have their objects potentially marked as non-authoritative in the RIPE database – which dependent on filtering could have rather drastic and damaging effects on global reachability.
>
> I am currently in the RIPE Database Working Group session, and I will take this to the microphone on behalf of this community. As you offered, I will suggest that we use some of your prefixes that you will offer for this as test-cases to see what the operational impact of this will be, if necessary.

Quick update: I have made the working group aware of the concerns, and asked them to slow down and first test the operational impact with some of Andrew's route objects before implementing the "big change" in the source attribute. Apparently they were under the impression that the Afrinic community was in favour of this change. It seems that there was a communication problem somewhere along the line. I will discuss this further with RIPE NCC staff and report back here.

I also got information about this from Afrinic staff. It is currently possible to have route objects for in-region IP space with out-of-region ASNs in the Afrinic database. It is not possible automatically create them via the online tooling, but with manual assistance from the host masters such route objects can be created.

I will of course keep everybody updated when I hear more!

Cheers,
Sander