[rpd] inputs and clarifications on "Clarification on IPv6 Sub-Assignments" AFPUB-2018-V6-002

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu May 10 09:23:09 UTC 2018

Hi all,

It looks like yesterday some participants in the meeting didn't completely understood this policy proposal.

https://www.afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/2321-clarification-on-ipv6-sub-assignments

I'm trying to explain it in a shorter way here and seek for any open questions.

The actual policy text, explicitly prohibits sub-assignments, stating that “Assignments... are not to be sub-assigned to other parties”. That means that a University or Enterprise that it is a direct AfriNIC "customer", will not be able to use those addresses for students or employee devices.

My goal is to solve the problem in such way that those organizations are no longer acting "against" the policy, but allowing those sub-assigments if they are non-permanent (a student or employee is only connected when it is in the university or office), in order to differentiate them from a permanent broadband service. It also allows those addresses to be used for point-to-point links (which is in this case are typically permanent).

As this policy proposal has also been submitted in other regions, because in all them we have the same issue, my intend is to have inputs from all, to look for the best possible text at each region.

One of the open questions is if this situation doesn't affect also IPv4. And the short answer is "yes and not". A quick example. If a university is using NAT in the students WiFi, then they aren't affected, otherwise yes. My next version will include an alternative text so it is solving the problem for both, IPv4 and IPv6.

Regards,
Jordi

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?