[rpd] Proposal to alter AFRINIC Policy Development Process

1mgirlieadezpet at gmail.com 1mgirlieadezpet at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:01:40 UTC 2018

Policy Development Process Bis might just continue to go round in circles as consensus may never be reached. I think that the policy can be amended and adopted by section. This would in a long run give the PDWG a clearer view of ALL objections raised so they can be objectively addressed.This in my opinion would yield a more concise and focused version of this draft policy. Thank you
Oluwaseun

  On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Mark Elkins<mje at posix.co.za> wrote:   I like what you have written. I do though think that some policies can
be agreed upon when there is zero objections to a particular policy -
usually something that is technical, simple and makes common sense
(thinking of no reverse delegation when the nameservers are broken - a
policy under current discussion).

On 06/05/2018 13:58, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've the feeling that my message
> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2018/008292.html
>
> was not read. People told me that the AfriNIC mailing list is not always forwarding my messages because the DMARC issue. Hopefully this is sorted out soon, as both ARIN and RIPE already did (I think APNIC as well, but not sure ...).
>
> So, repeating myself.
>
> I think it should be made clearer that:
> 1) The consensus is reached not only in the meeting, but also from the discussion in the mailing list, and because the mailing list has the capability to include a more broader community, it may happen that in the meeting the show-hands show no consensus, but the mailing list weight was "bigger" for the consensus, so the consensus is reached.
>
> 2) This means that the chairs MUST NOT take the decision right in the meeting, but have a 2 weeks period to really study the decision. This is the way we are doing in RIPE and also will be from now on in LACNIC.
>

> I've developed for LACNIC for a PDP change proposal which reached consensus the last week, a definition of both, consensus and last-call, which may be helpful here.
>
> Definition of ‘Consensus’
> Achieving ‘consensus’ does not mean that proposals are voted for and against, nor that the number of ‘yes's’, ‘no's’ and ‘abstentions’ – or even participants – are counted, but that the proposal has been discussed not only by its author(s) but also by other members of the community, regardless of their number, and that, after a period of discussion, all critical technical objections have been resolved.
>
> In general, this might coincide with a majority of members of the community in favor of the proposal, and with those who are against the proposal basing their objections on technical reasons as opposed to ‘subjective’ reasons. In other words, low participation or participants who disagree for reasons that are not openly explained should not be considered a lack of consensus.
>
> Objections should not be measured by their number, but instead by their nature and quality within the context of a given proposal. For example, a member of the community whose opinion is against a proposal might receive many ‘emails’ (virtual or real) in their support, yet the chairs might consider that the opinion has already been addressed and technically refuted during the debate; in this case, the chairs would ignore those expressions of support against the proposal.
>
> For information purposes, the definition of ‘consensus’ used by the RIRs and the IETF is actually that of ‘rough consensus’, which allows better clarifying the goal in this context, given that ‘consensus’ (Latin for agreement) might be interpreted as ‘agreed by all’ (unanimity). More specifically, RFC7282, explains that “Rough consensus is achieved when all issues are addressed, but not necessarily accommodated.”

> [...]

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za      Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496