[rpd] Proposal to alter AFRINIC Policy Development Process

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Apr 9 07:09:36 UTC 2018

Hi,

One aspect I don't agree is that consensus is only "measured" in the meeting, at least that's what I understand in "3.4.3 Reaching consensus".

Also, I believe the chairs must not take the decision in the meeting itself. It takes time to really understand all the positions, objections, etc., and is not something it can be done in a couple of minutes during a meeting, so I will suggest this becomes clear and a period of 1-2 weeks is provided to the chairs for that.

I've studied this a bit because I've submitted two policy proposals at LACNIC to modify the PDP there. In case it is useful, the English version of the first one is here:
https://politicas.lacnic.net/politicas/detail/id/LAC-2018-6?language=en

I'm attaching also a picture I did to summarize that.

Basically, there are two models we can follow:
1) RIPE measures consensus with the list. There is no need to have a meeting to take a decision.
2) ARIN measures both, in the list and in a meeting.

Taking the decision only in the meeting it seems to me discriminatory for the overall community, because it means, only those able to travel are "considered" for the consensus decision.

Furthermore, I think taking the decision in the list has also the advantage that 1) you don't need to wait for a meeting to reach consensus in a policy proposal, 2) you encourage the increased participation, because you allow "all" to take part of the consensus, not just those coming to the meeting.

Regards,
Jordi