[rpd] Comments on AFPUB-2018-V6-002-DRAFT01

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Apr 29 22:20:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

No, is not related to Prefix Delegation in the sense of DHCPv6-PD (which allows any prefix size /64, /56, /48, etc.).

The problem is the same even for a *single* IPv6 address and considering RFC8273 I believe the same policy should allow not just a single address but also a *single* /64. See this text in my policy proposal intro:

"When the policy was drafted, the concept of assignments/sub-assignments did not consider a practice very common in IPv4 which is replicated and even amplified in IPv6: the use of IP addresses for point-to-point links or VPNs."

And

"Likewise, the policy failed to consider the use of IP addresses in hotspots, or the use of IP addresses by guests or employees in Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and many other similar cases."

A very simple example:

If you're a university and you get IPv6 PI from AfriNIC, and you want to use those addresses for the students. You CAN'T according to the current policy, because Section 2.6 (General Definitions/Assignment), explicitly prohibits such assignments, stating that “Assignments... are not to be sub-assigned to other parties”.

Same for a company and the employee devices using the WiFi on that company ..., etc.

In IPv4 this doesn't happen if you use a NAT, because you're not sub-assigning IPv4 addresses to the students or employees, you are using private addressing space.

In this policy I don't use end-site at all, I believe?

Anyway, for me, in general I think we can say "end-site" is whatever is connected with a link (a bank branch, a university, a home, a smartphone, ...), just pick up your preferred example.

Regards,
Jordi