[rpd] Appeal against softlanding-bis declaration of consensus

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu Jan 11 12:33:32 UTC 2018

On 10 Jan 2018, at 21:38, ALAIN AINA wrote:

> Hello,

hi alain,
hny :-)

>> On 5 Jan 2018, at 10:05, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net>
>> wrote:
>>> On 4 Jan 2018, at 15:56, Ornella GANKPA <honest1989 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> Anyone can always get more allocation as long as they justify 90%
>>> utilization.
>>
>> That is accurate for the existing soft landing policy
>> <https://afrinic.net/community/policy-development/2195-consolidated-policy-manual-v11#SoftLanding>,
>> but it is not accurate for the soft landing bis proposal
>> <https://afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/2197-ipv4-soft-landing-bis>
>> (which recently ended last call and was sent to the Board for
>> ratification, and which is the subject of an appeal).
>>
>> Under the soft landing bis proposal, no organisation will be able to
>> receive more than a /18 of IPv4 space every 24 months during
>> “Exhaustion Phase 1”, or a /22 every 24 months during
>> “Exhaustion Phase 2”, even if they can demonstrate 90%
>> utilisation.
>>

> Ornella presentation of the SL-BIS  is accurate.
> SL-BIS  set not limit on the number of requests a member can make
> until they reach the maximum allowable size during each exhaustion
> phase.

yes, but it does specify an upper limit on the total space that can be
requested.   ie.  “totalling the equivalent of a /x “.  i admit that
when i read this, i read it as an organisation not being able to get
more than a /x within a period.  and it seems clear to me, that this is
how it’s understood by many other people too.

so, to eschew obfuscation, could you clarify that please.

if you are saying that, an organisation can go back, and get more than
that, then, this changes things quite a bit.  for a start, if i was able
to get more than a /18, in a 2yr year period, then why have the 2yr
period at all?

—n.

ps. i’m not stating the obvious; that i have satisfied the
hostmaster’s concerns that my usage is legitimate.