[rpd] Appeal against softlanding-bis declaration of consensus

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Jan 4 10:36:50 UTC 2018

Some thoughts:

Africa has some regions that are doing quite well regarding Internet
Penetration (and thus the use of IP Addresses) and others that are
not... so a generalisation is we are a mix of both first and third world
countries.

Regions that I'd say are more first world would (a generalisation)
include Northern, Southern, Eastern and Indian Ocean regions.
There are though countries with very, very low Internet penetration such
as Eritrea.

There are also many more "small" LIR's in Africa than larger LIR's -
thus the voice at meetings is predominantly attended by smaller LIR's.
Their IPv4 address needs are thus small - so the revised Soft Landing
proposal is in their favour or certainly does them no harm.

Thus, by extension, the revised policy is generally harmful to larger
LIR's. They need larger blocks in order to grow, which this revision of
the policy does not allow. This policy is therefore discriminatory
against larger (which probably implies more successful) LIR's. Thus, the
policy harms success (and larger LIR's who need more space).

So in many ways - what we are seeing is a clash between large,
successful LIR's versus less large and less successful LIR's. I don't
see why success should be punished.

The large LIR's will stop coming back for more space when we enter phase
two of the current Soft Landing system. There will still be plenty of
space for the smaller LIR's. Neither party will be strangled.

Oh - and (rough) Consensus is not the same as Majority...

---------------------

People should also note that other vocal parties, thinking of Owen from
the ARIN region and Sander from the RIPE Region, are both extremely
involved with Policy within their own regions with years of experience
in policy development - they do the equivalent jobs in their region of
our own PDP Co-Chairs. They recognise that our own process has not being
followed properly.

Wishing everyone a prosperous and successful New Year.

On 04/01/2018 10:29, Eucharia Chimbuzor Nwachukwu wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
> I see from Omo response and corresponding response from Andrew that
> there's more to what we are discussing on this matter. From my
> personal observation, I deduce the following:
> 1. Omo and co submitted proposal.
> 2. Andrew and co sort for comprise on the proposal.
> 3. Omo and co refused to negotiate.
> 4. Andrew and co submitted a counter proposal with the aim of ensuring
> that the first proposal doesn't get a concensus.
> 5. Andrew was happy to withdraw his proposal when both were advised to
> do so because it was a dream come true. Omo and co wasn't happy with
> the advice to withdraw because it seemed like Andrew has pushed his
> threat successfully.
> 6. Omo and co amended the proposal and resubmitted and it was never
> turned down by congregation rather the same group who stood against
> the proposal kept objecting. The said proposal seems to satisfy the
> expectations of the larger community including some of the appellants
> who have no issues with the proposal but the process of passing it.
> Yet, a concensus can't be achieved.
> My submission: I want to ask, as a community, do we need to be
> strangulated in this way? Should it be a norm that when your
> negotiation fails, the community stands still? I see nothing bad in
> that proposal and it has to pass in some way. Let us move forward, please!
>
> Wishing all of us a prosperous and focused new year.
>
> Eucharia Nwachukwu
>

> On Jan 4, 2018 8:28 AM, "Andrew Alston"
> <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
> <mailto:Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>> wrote:
>
>     Go right ahead Omo - I did state that if there was no negotiation
>     a counter proposal would be coming - 100 percent I did - because
>     we believed all along on the repeal.
>
>     That reach out to you was an effort to prevent that - but you
>     rejected it.
>
>     But if we want to start sharing other skype logs - maybe I should
>     also respond with the rest of the logs with your co-authors -
>     happy to oblige on that as well - let me know if you wish to play
>     that game - I would rather not - but it’s up to you.
>
>     The fact is - an attempt was made to reach out - and it was openly
>     and transparently stated that if a compromise could not be met - a
>     counter proposal would be coming - I stand by that and always will
>
>     Andrew
>

>     Get Outlook for iOS <https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496