[rpd] Two more petitioners

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Tue Dec 19 20:25:27 UTC 2017

Andrew,

Regardless of the actual numbers which vary according to the source, what
the statistics remind us all, is that:

- Africa still has a long way to go
- Not all states are moving at the same pace

On the other hand, a quick analysis of the data below from IPv4
perspectives  shows:

1. Actually 3 countries (South Africa, Egypt.Morocco) have 58.51% of the v4
space for  87,804,649 Internet (22.60 % of total Internet users in africa)
with a population of 185,892,860(14% of the total population in Africa).

2. Some countries have more Internet users and better penetration with far
less IPv4 addresses allocated.

As we write, AFRINIC only has the equivalent of 0.76 of /8 (12,750,684) of
free v4 (mostly from the  last /8) for which SL-BIS proposal is making a
case for fairer distribution.

One could ask;

1. Why is there any agitation in places that already have the most IPv4 and
yet can still get resources with the SL-BIS?

2. Isn’t the real threat to the African Internet industry the failure of
such more informed and capable states to prepare for a transition to IPv6
as we have known for the last decade that we were running out of IPv4?

Ref: Google IPv6 statistics, the 3 countries mentioned above show
relatively little IPv6 adoption:

South Africa: 0.22%
Egypt  0.36%
Morocco: 0%

IMHO, SL-BIS assures fair distribution of the last /8 to everyone and keeps
a dedicated /12 for IPv6 deployment

We have work to do, so let us start together.

Cheers,
Noah