[rpd] Two more petitioners

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Dec 19 09:02:46 UTC 2017

Ok So – Jackson – I went and did some research into actual penetration statistics and distribution of infrastructure.

So – Firstly – the ITU estimates the internet penetration in Africa as of 2016 to be 25% - not sub 1%

Secondly – In terms of Internet Penetration levels – South Africa is actually 5th on the list in Africa, being beaten out by Kenya, Mauritius, Morocco, and the Seychelles.

Thirdly – Only 14 countries in Africa have penetration levels of less than 10% and only 4 have penetration levels of less than 5%

So sorry mate, your “facts” – aren’t born out by the numbers.  Numbers don’t lie.

Andrew

For brevity – in the below tables – I have only taken the top 20 in each sorted table – if you want the full list let me know - I have also included a table on the lowest penetration percentages

Countries ranked by Internet Penetration in Africa:

Country

TLD

Allocated IP

Percent Of Total Allocation

Internet Users

Penetration

Kenya

KE

5548288

5.21%

43,329,434

89.40%

Mauritius

MU

2067456

1.94%

803,896

62.70%

Morocco

MA

10686720

10.03%

20,535,174

58.30%

Seychelles

SC

7969024

7.48%

55,119

56.50%

South Africa

ZA

28877824

27.11%

29,935,634

54.00%

Tunisia

TN

6013440

5.64%

5,848,534

50.90%

Cape Verde

CV

28672

0.03%

256,972

48.20%

Gabon

GA

356352

0.33%

865,492

48.10%

Nigeria

NG

2502656

2.35%

91,598,757

47.70%

Uganda

UG

888320

0.83%

19,000,000

45.60%

Algeria

DZ

4791040

4.50%

18,580,000

45.20%

Libya

LY

371712

0.35%

2,800,000

43.70%

Zimbabwe

ZW

100096

0.09%

6,722,677

41.10%

Botswana

BW

141568

0.13%

923,528

39.40%

Egypt

EG

22763008

21.37%

37,333,841

39.20%

Ghana

GH

2236416

2.10%

9,935,286

34.70%

Swaziland

SZ

47360

0.04%

436,051

33.00%

Namibia

NA

459008

0.43%

797,027

31.00%

Rwanda

RW

348672

0.33%

3,724,678

30.60%

Zambia

ZM

1096448

1.03%

5,192,284

30.10%

Countries ranked by percentage of IP allocation from AfriNIC:

[...]

Sudan

SD

1328384

1.25%