[rpd] Removal of a director

Komi Elitcha kmw.elitcha at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 15:57:05 UTC 2017

Hi,

I don’t know where Andrew is getting his information from and I too would
like him to find his computer and verify his claims.

As far as I can see, they are erroneous and misleading.  The facts from
AfRINIC docs and lists

- only board members (registered members) can recall themselves.
- resource members and the wider community have no powers.
- There was no special resolutions on the matter by Andrew as claimed
- A previous attempt to address this was in the Bylaws review 2016

Current bylaws
{
https://www.afrinic.net/en/about/bylaws/2001-afrinic-bylaws-2016?start=13

14 REMOVAL OF DIRECTORS
14.1 A Director shall hold office until:
(i) his term of office expires, without prejudice to Article 13;
(ii) he/she signs a written notice of resignation and delivers it to the
address for service on the Company, which notice shall be effective when it
is received at that address or at such later time as may be specified in
the notice;
(iii) he/she is removed by the affirmative vote of two-thirds of all other
Directors;
(iv) he/she otherwise ceases to be a Director pursuant to Section 139 of
the Act; or
(v) the Director being the Chief Executive Officer, on the Board
terminating his employment as Chief Executive Officer.
}
Bylaws Revision
{

https://www.afrinic.net/images/2.0-Special_Resolutions_SR1_to_SR20.pdf

Special Resolution 16 (SR16)
Give the Members the power to recall a Director.

Insert a new sub-article 14.1(iv) after the existing 14.1(iii), and
re-number the subsequent sub-articles as appropriate; Add a new article
14.2 as follows.
14.1 A Director shall hold office until:
    .    (i)  [no change from previous text]

    .    (ii)  [no change from previous text]

    .    (iii)  [no change from previous text]

    .    (iv)  [new sub-article] he/she is removed in terms of Article
14.2;

    .    (v)  [previous part (iv) re-numbered to (v)]

    .    (vi)  [previous part (v) re-numbered to (vi)]

14.2 [new article] A Director other than the Chief Executive Officer may be
removed by a special resolution of Registered Members and Resource Members
passed at an Annual General Member Meeting, provided:
(i) At least 10% of all Registered Members and Resource Members petition
for the special resolution to be included in the agenda of the meeting

    .    (ii)  The Director who is the subject of the special resolution is
given the opportunity to be heard at the meeting;

    .    (iii)  The special resolution is passed with a supermajority of no
less than 75% of all votes cast.
}

The votes results
{

https://www.afrinic.net/en/news/1957-results-of-voting-on-special-resolutions

SR 16: Give the Members the power to recall a Director.
58 YES, 21 NO, 0 Abstain
FAILED with 73% YES votes
}
Origin and discussions on what became SR16
{

https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2016-June/000350.html
}
Andrew's proposed special resolutions  to amend bylaws 2015
{
 https://afrinic.net/images/doc/special_resolution_proposed_by_member.pdf
}

Thanks