[rpd] Soft landing bis opposition

Erwee de Kock erwee at elitehost.co.za
Sat Dec 2 08:16:57 UTC 2017

I, Erwee de Kock, representing myself as a concerned community member
hereby wish to
state my clear and unambiguous opposition to the IPv4 Soft Landing BIS
proposal,
AFPUB-2016-V4-001-DRAFT-07

I oppose this policy because I believe that the policy in its current
form is harmful to the
industry and the Internet; and regardless of the motives of the authors,
will have the
effect of limiting the growth of Internet penetration in Africa.

I further believe that to lock space up in a manner that ensures that it
will still be unused
after the rest of the world has moved to V6, thereby wasting a precious
African resource
until such a point as it will be worthless is completely contrary to the
interests of the
African industry, the African people, and the Internet as a whole.

Finally, I believe that this policy and its implementation are in direct
conflict with section
3.4.ii of the AFRINIC bylaws, which reads (with particular emphasis on
relevant wording
indicated):

(Under Types and Objects of the company)

3.4 The Company shall have, both within and outside the Republic of
Mauritius, full
capacity to carry and/or undertake any business or activity, including,
but not limited to,
the following objects:

3.4.i To provide the service of allocating and registering Internet
resources for the purpose
of enabling communications via open system network protocols and to
assist in the
development and growth of the Internet in the African region.

As such, I oppose this policy and oppose any further tightening of
restrictions in the
context of this, or future, soft landing policies.