[rpd] Proposal updated: IPv4 Soft Landing BIS

Willy MANGA mangawilly at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 22:29:40 UTC 2017

Hi,

Le 01/10/2017 à 05:58, Dewole Ajao a écrit :
> Dear PDWG members,
>
> This is to inform you that the policy proposal named "IPv4 Soft
> Landing BIS" has an updated version as published online at
> https://afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/2197-ipv4-soft-landing-bis
>
>  Please take some time to go through the proposal contents and
> provide your feedback.

Do we ALL agree on the importance to migrate to IPv6 (as soon as possible) ?

I expect the answer will be 'yes' at least when I see the number of
entities requesting IPv6 training each year.

Thus I do not agree on the need of a reserve of IPv4 blocks regarding
IPv6 deployment.

Current AFRINIC members can obtain v6 prefixes easily. I do not
understand how a current AFRINIC member can request an IPv4 prefix when
he has already a v6 prefix and nothing is announced AND used on the
Internet.
How can you say that you may need more v4 when (almost) nothing is done
regarding your migration to v6 ?

If this reserve should be kept, in my humble opinion only new AFRINIC
members should be able to request it.

Willy Manga
@ongolaboy
https://ongola.blogspot.com/