[rpd] Appeal Committee Terms of Reference (Version 1)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 9 20:51:15 UTC 2017

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 03:43 , Jackson Muthili <jacksonmuthi at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, July 20, 2017, Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl <mailto:sander at steffann.nl>> wrote:
> Hi Sunday,
>
> > The AFRINIC Board of Directors intends to establish an Appeal Committee to give effect to the requirements in section 3.5 of the Consolidated Policy Manual (that is, the Conflict resolution portion of the Policy Development Process).
> >
> > The Appeal Committee Terms of Reference (version 1) is published at https://afrinic.net/en/community/working-groups/policy-appeal <https://afrinic.net/en/community/working-groups/policy-appeal>

> Thank you and the rest of the board for obviously putting a lot of thought and work into this. The result looks very good. As Owen pointed out there are always small improvements possible, but I think the board deserves this community's compliments for doing a good job :)
>
> If during the random selection for seat 3 and 4 my names comes up then I will happily accept.
>

> Your name rings a bell many years when AfriNIC nomcom was hacked you were among this group which accessed non privileged information.

This is absurd…

First, AfriNIC nomcom was not hacked… The AfriNIC mailing list administrators made an error which resulted in the nomcom mailing list being open to subscription (or review) by anyone. Sander first tested this to validate the theory and then ethically brought it to the attention of staff and the board which lead to the resolution of the problem. At no point did he do anything unethical. He did exercise poor judgment in some of his tactics, but he never disclosed privileged information, nor did he tamper with the nominations process or the committee in any way.

This accusation is baseless and inappropriate.

> If it is the case your moral stand in our community is questionable. I may be wrong please remind me.

You are, indeed, wrong and I believe that Sander’s moral standing is impeccable.