[rpd] IPv4 Soft Landing BIS

Andre van Zyl vanzyla at bcxcomms.net
Thu Aug 3 11:31:29 UTC 2017

Hi Owen,

> Not at all… If you want to write a policy that resolves this issue without the other baggage and problems present in this policy, I would support a clean policy designed to address that issue and make space available to ANYONE specifically for IPv6 to IPv4 connectivity/transition. In fact, I wrote such a policy in the ARIN region years ago and it is now NRPM section 4.10 in the ARIN region.

Thanks for the pointer to the ARIN policy, I hadn't actually read it before, but it was actually a very educational read for me.

I (naively?) hadn't considered the possibility that policy could dictate what allocations could be used for, hence my fixation on trying to drive a specific use (for IPv6 deployment) through reservation and limiting the size of allocations to prevent maintaining the IPv4 status quo at the expense of future IPv6 deployments.

Having now been elightened as to what can be done, I think that your approach is cleaner and more flexible than anything I had considered thus far.

I think there's definitely merit in Mark's suggestion that we review other regions' policies and take what we like from them, while fixing what we don't. If anything, this exercise has made me doubly sure of it in my own mind.

Kind Regards,
Andre