[rpd] IPv4 Soft Landing BIS

Jackson Muthili jacksonmuthi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 05:45:59 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:16 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Frankly, IMHO, the preservation of IPv4 is strictly a way of inflicting
> additional cost and pain on the majority of the internet. Unfortunately,
> much like toxic polluters of the 70s and 80s, most of the cost and pain is
> inflicted on those who are ready for IPv6 rather than those who remain
> unprepared for that future. The good news is that if the current adoption
> rates continue, the holdouts that haven’t implemented IPv6 will become
> mostly irrelevant relatively soon and when the rest of us start turning off
> IPv4, they will be the ones left out in the cold wondering what happened
> instead of inflicting costs and pain on the rest of us.
>
> The sooner the internet moves on from its unhealthy IPv4 addiction the
> better. I’m pretty sure you know this as well as I do, despite all of your
> apparent protestations to the contrary.

- Our region is still a young and growing region relative to yours.
- IPv6 is the end. But IPv4 is still a means to the end.
- If IPv6 were the absolute solution we would not have a booming a
billion dollar IPv4 market.
- As the growing region transits to IPv6 there will still be need for
IPv4 meantime. If our IPv4 is not well and meticulously managed during
this period it will cost our operators more to buy from the market as
AfriNIC runs out completely.
- A mechanism to put in place a carefully managed runout which ensures
fair allocation specifically for a region like Africa that has many
late business and startups is very critical for us.
- Irrespective and irrelevant of evolution of the proposal and
bickering of authors the proposal has the best interests of African
network operators and Africa region in general.

We shall get to IPv6 eventually. Now we still need IPv4. Our growing
industry needs it badly and for a while before IPv6 eventually ever
gets adopted. When it is depleted they will struggle big time.