[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Jul 24 15:04:45 UTC 2017

On 24/07/2017 16:43, abel ELITCHA wrote:
> David,

> <d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net
> <mailto:d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net>>:
>
>     Dear Marcus,
>

>     I think there is a misunderstanding from your side.
>

>     On 24 July 2017 at 12:41, Marcus K. G. Adomey <madomey at hotmail.com
>     <mailto:madomey at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Dear David,
>     >
>     > I find your email rather strange if you can admit to
>     selling/trading of IP
>     > Addresses.
>     >
>     >
>     > At the current state of affairs, LIRs are not allowed to sell IP
>     Addresses
>     > to their customers through sub-allocations  and assignments.
>     >

>     Isn't the core purpose of an IR to further distribute the address
>     space?
>     Whether you charge for the service or not is entirely up to you as
>     LIR,
>

> Charging for service which encompasses the IPs is fine, but charging
> for the IPs  as service or comodity is not allowed

Where does it say that?
So - if the ISP includes a /29 in the monthly rental of a service but
the customer asks for, needs and can justify a /26 of address space, the
ISP can't charge him extra for it?

What about a PtP tunnel system, where the customer buys a tunnel service
that needs four IPv4 addresses? I'd see that as a legitimate business.

>     > You're concerned by the impact of the policy on other members
>     and not on
>     > your own LIR's  account?  Fantastic!!!
>     >

>     Not so much on our own, no, but the policy proposal as written and if
>     applied accordingly to how it is written, will results in the
>     de-registration of live network all over the membership of AFRINIC,
>

> Live networks using the numbers in compliance will have no issues.
> Those not in compliance  will be giving chance to seek compliance.
>
> De -registration is a LAST ressort action (not desirable). Even in
> this case, providers and users will have enough time to ensure
>  business  continuity.
> BTW, can you suggest how do you see it written  to match your
> "aspirations" please?
>

> --
> --Abel

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496