[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Jul 24 14:59:21 UTC 2017

On 24/07/2017 16:39, Andrew Alston wrote:

> Actually, Marcus, you are **HALF** correct.
>

> There is **NO** policy that prevents anyone from leasing IP space to a
> third party through sub-allocations – on provision that your
> application stated that you would assigning space to customers.
> Indeed, this is a VERY common practice, and I can name MULTIPLE ISP’s
> on this continent that are charging their customers if the customer
> wants more than X number of IP addresses, on a recurring revenue
> basis.  It is **NOT** against any policy, the policies are ENTIRELY
> silent on if an LIR can charge for space that is assigned – and indeed
> – in previous discussions one of the reasons I have heard for LIR fees
> being far higher than end user fees is that LIR’s have the option to
> recover the costs from the customers.
>

> Now – let me also state – I am vehemently opposed to the charging of
> customers for IP space – and it is something I do not believe any ISP
> should be doing – but – that is **personal opinion** - that is not
> what the policies say.

:-)

So essentially you build your AFRINIC fees for address space into what
you charge the Customer. However, if a Customer justifies more space,
you currently don't charge them for the extra space. That's fine.

:-)

> So to say that LIR’s are not allowed to “sell” IP addresses to their
> customers through sub-allocations or assignments – is only accurate if
> the sale is done on a permanent basis.  It is **ENTIRELY** within the
> policy to assign space, either through sub-allocation or through
> assignment, and it is **ENTIRELY** within the policy for the LIR to
> change whatever the hell they like for that service.
>

> It all depends on what was stated in the original application.
>

> Andrew
>

> *From: *"Marcus K. G. Adomey" <madomey at hotmail.com>
> *Date: *Monday, 24 July 2017 at 11:41
> *To: *"dmurungi at techsupport.co.tz" <dmurungi at techsupport.co.tz>, David
> Hilario <d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net>
> *Cc: *rpd List <rpd at afrinic.net>
> *Subject: *Re: [rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 -
> Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"
>

> Dear David,
>
> I find your email rather strange if you can admit to selling/trading
> of IP Addresses.
>
> At the current state of affairs, LIRs are not allowed to sell IP
> Addresses  to their customers through sub-allocations  and assignments.
>
> Afrinic intra transfer policy is even yet to be implemented and its
> rules are also very clear on how resources can be transferred.
>
> Passing additional allocations evaluation (and we trust Afrinic staff
> for always doing their job) is super.
>
> Equally passing a resource utilization review is also a requirement
> and desirable by serious LIR's willing to prove to their customer's
> base  that their business is risk-free.
>
> You're concerned by the impact of the policy on other members and not
> on your own LIR's  account?  Fantastic!!!
>
> The PDWG is open and they are free to express themselves,
>
> Your historical concerns  about deregistration, threat of legal
> risks to Afrinic and opposition of the review policy dictate the
> contrary of what you claimed here.
>
> You clearly have a conflict of Interest in the discussions on this
> policy proposal and this must be taken into account.
>

> Marcus

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496