[rpd] AFRINIC Board ratifies Policy Proposal AFPUB-2016-V4-003-DRAFT03: IPv4 Resources transfer within the AFRINIC Region

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jul 22 09:22:32 UTC 2017

On 21/Jul/17 21:00, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Do you honestly believe that if AfriNIC allows long transfers it will
> magically cause ISPs to start accepting long prefixes into the FIB?

Not magically, but if an ISP obtains a /26 by way of transfer, they
could put their service provider under pressure to route it. Of course,
that exchange is outside of AFRINIC's scope, and I know any language to
manage that could be over-reaching, but I suppose what I'm trying to do
is to remove the opportunity to have the discussion in the first place.

> I think it is prudent, but I think because those that might be
> gullible enough to buy a longer prefix are likely those who don’t
> really understand the ramifications resulting in some rather awkward
> subsequent arguments where AfriNIC is dragged in despite being only
> the recorder of the transfer and not party to the terms of the sale so
> to speak.

I have seen strange things in my day. This wouldn't surprise me in the
least.

But in all fairness, I'm not that horny for such text to be in policy.
Something like this can easily self-correct if it did happen. But if the
text were there, I wouldn't mind either.

Mark.