[rpd] [members-discuss] Grave concerns

ALAIN AINA Alain.Aina at wacren.net
Fri Jul 14 14:48:05 UTC 2017

Andrew,

[I cc’ed rpd as there are elements of policy]

> On 13 Jul 2017, at 14:12, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>
> Alain,
>
> Let me respond – and I refer to the comments I have made on another lists regarding the anti-shutdown policy.
>
> Let us look closely at what the legal advisor said:
>
> AfriNIC may face multiple civil suits in the multiple jurisdictions where sanctions are imposed
> Firstly – there is zero substantiation and further clarification on this – and we asked for it
> Secondly – it states that it will be impossible to prove that the governments had no right to do it – again – we asked for substantiation on that in light of the fact that multiple legal individuals advised to the contrary – including at the meeting in Nairobi.
> Secondly – on point B – we addressed those in draft 2 – which was put forward
> Thirdly – on the third point – it refers to within its constitution and within its laws – I refer you to draft two – which specifically said that removal based on law was valid – and would not trigger the policy
> Forth – The point d in what came back was extremely vague and totally unsubstantiated.

You seem to have serious doubts on the legal assessment of your anti-shutdown policy proposal and you even got second opinions which contradict the AFRINIC legal counsel.

I would have expected you as former board member to raise concerns about the company's legal with objective solutions and  proposals or better yet a 2nd independent legal opinion.

On the other hand,  you seem to confidently praise the same AFRINIC legal counsel with his opinion on the review policy proposal, without admitting any possible misunderstanding or errors, while the authors and community have been addressing legal councel's expressed concerns and helping the legal councel to better understand what the proposal is all about.

This is very worrying and must be addressed immediately and I call upon the board, entire membership and the community's attention on this.

The real risk for AFRINIC seems to be associated to its management and legal counsel.

Regards,

—Alain