[rpd] BOARD Response: Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Jul 13 06:14:34 UTC 2017

Mr Folayan, Chair of the board of AfriNIC.

I am sitting here almost to stunned to even type this email.

The position taken by the board in this regard, as expressed in your email below, quite frankly beggars belief.  The fact that a board, who in large part, drafted a special resolution that attempted to deal with conflict of interest, could take a position like this - where is the consistency?

What you are effectively saying in this email is that - when a member of the community decides that the judgement of the co-chairs must be questioned - they must then - rely on the judgement of those same co-chairs - to allow an appeal against their own bad judgement.... If the flaws in that logic train are not obvious - then I don't know what is.

This effectively strips the community of any credible means of appeal - it makes a mockery out of any form of governance - it exposes a fundamental lack of understanding of conflict of interest - and while I thought there was not much that could truly shock me - this email has left me stunned.

Please - I appeal to you - back down from this position and restore a little credibility to this process, and to yourselves - because wow... just wow...

In one email - you have managed to confirm and solidify every thought I had about the business risks posed by this organisation.

Andrew