[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Lu Heng h.lu at anytimechinese.com
Mon Jul 10 14:42:59 UTC 2017

Dear Ashok:

Thank you for the throughout legal advice, Me as community member really
appreciated.

Running a company like AFRINIC requires extreme caution and care, in which
require weighting loss and gains at very high level.

At any time, using AFRINIC as internet police, or some staff member trying
to be internet police is a danger not only to the company but also to the
community.

Therefore I am not only firmly against this policy, but also against this
very intent that trying to ask AFRINIC to do things that beyond bookkeeping.

For the future of AFRICA and to have a long live accurate registry,  I hope
such intent will never come back.

We shouldn't let business live in the fear, but instead, we should really
encourage creativity, limiting business by policy and asking a registry to
enforce such a policy, is a really bad idea.

With regards.

Lu

On 10 July 2017 at 15:57, Douglas Onyango <ondouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Members,
> After carefully reviewing AFRINIC legal counsel’s unprecedented
> assessment of this policy, I am of the view that the issues he raises
> are pertinent and substantive. Moreover, I concur with his view that
> these issues are yet to be sufficiently addressed by the authors.
>
> It is my view that some provisions of this policy are a departure from
> the norm of our policy development that have been “in the best
> interest of AFRINIC,” as they seek compliance, regardless of the cost
> to the company.
>
> Is the reward of catching some non-compliant members worth the risk of
> losing the entire company???? I say no.
>
> IMHO, this policy should not be moved forward in its current form.
> Instead, I suggest that the authors take pragmatic steps to
> satisfactorily address the issues raised by legal counsel. Barring
> this, the co-chairs should intervene, and barring this the Board, at
> an appropriate time, should step in.
>
> I am all for ensuring that AFRINIC’s resources are utilized in the
> best interest of the community, and support steps to ensure
> compliance. However, I am opposed to ideas that are counterproductive,
> and that could lead to the devastating result of the closure of
> AFRINIC.
>
> I am sure no one wants this outcome either, but it is a likely
> scenario if we pass this policy in its current state.
>

> Regards,
>
> On 10 July 2017 at 14:06, Ashok Radhakissoon <ashok at afrinic.net> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> > Find for your consideration my final assessment of the proposed policy
> under
> > reference.
> > Regards
> > Ashok.B.Radhakissoon