[rpd] Anti-Shutdown

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 29 11:51:12 UTC 2017

> On Jun 10, 2017, at 6:53 AM, Chevalier du Borg <virtual.borg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why would a senior RIR principals be interested in promoting anti-shutdown at UN when colleagues like Vint Cerf are cautioning  such moves [1]?
>

> Hmmm. Vint Cert (The Father of the Internet) cautioning against it. So must be a bad idea in total. There is the kinds of thinking that will really advanced this community.

Vint did not make any statement about anti-shutdown as being discussed in the UN.

His statement was that politicizing IP allocations is a very bad idea. I agree with him about this.

I said as much at the microphone during the discussion of this proposal.

We must separate the flaws in this proposal from the concept of preventing or opposing internet shutdowns in general.

The former received condemnation from Vint. The latter did not.