[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Lu Heng h.lu at anytimechinese.com
Wed Jun 28 15:31:57 UTC 2017

Hi Guys:

That's why I believe the passing policy on the meeting floor is not so good
idea because:

1. This shows that even though a potentially flawed policy can have support
in the room during the meeting, the process works, as it has to return to
the list for final observation and review.

2. It could possibly fail the fundamental part of reaching consensus- -
addressing every major argument with valid counter argument.

Just like this time, every major argument have been raised was not
addressed, none of them was addressed with satisfactory counter argument,
while the policy still manage to reach the last call stage.

Yes, the objection finally raised in the very last mins of the last call,
but, the very question I am asking here is, those objection,* those
argument was raised in the discussion phase as well and it was never
addressed, so the policy shouldn't be move to the last call without the
counter argument to those valid concerns at first place,* because in the
last call, simply means all the major argument have been talked and solved.

I hope this experience make us all learn from it.

I personally think the RIPE community model is more reflected to the
argument part, they publish and summaries every argument and counter
argument in the policy discussion, and the consensus is reached in the
mailing list not on the floor of the RIPE meeting, so doesn't matter how
many friends you have ,how many personal attack you make, on the floor or
on the mailing list,* if you can not address the argument properly, you can
not pass the policy.*

*That way, we can let reasons prevail over anything else, and I firmly
believe, in the end, reasons are what matters.*

with regards.

Lu

On 28 June 2017 at 21:40, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> Hi Folk,
>
> After a lengthy read, I beg to ask.
>
> How did this policy get to the last call if the same issues are still
> reiterated over and over through out the development process of this policy?
>
> Cheers,
> Noah

Kind regards.
Lu