[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

David Hilario d.hilario at outsideheaven.com
Wed Jun 28 03:26:28 UTC 2017

Dear Tutu,

On 27 June 2017 at 21:58, Tutu Ngcaba <pan.afrikhan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brother Kris,
>
> but the afrinic role of giving ip address also can be role of returning of
> not usable. why this is not good things. if they dont use properly why
> mustn't they returned it.

Unused IP address cannot be forcibly returned under the current
AFRINIC policy, the Review policy will not change that either, it is
out of scope and this is mentioned in previous staff assessments as
well.

> so you said the other RIR like the RIPE will do review audits. so then  no
> problem if the Afrinic did the same as this policy proposed. why people will
> be afraid like this?

The premise of the "audit/review" policy proposal in the case here in
AFRINIC is solely to return address space, not to to make the registry
better or stronger.

The Audit in the RIPE region is to maintain an accurate registry, any
address space recovery coming from that would be a side effect.

It is a very different way of approaching the situation.

> shall we say or refused policy propositions due to some ISP big or small
> being afraid as if they hide something.?

People are not rejecting the proposal because they are hiding things,
they are rejecting it because it is a threat to the AFRINIC Ltd and
the members.

You can search the AFRINIC database, you can use various online tools
to check IP utilisation, routing etc...
You will find that the unannounced space from the AFRINIC pool is from
other parties.

> Best Regards,
> Tutu Ngcaba

David Hilario

IP Manager

Larus Cloud Service Limited

p: +852 29888918  m: +359 89 764 1784
f: +852 29888068
a: Flat B5, 11/F, TML Tower, No.3 Hoi Shing Road, Tsuen Wan, HKSAR
w: laruscloudservice.net
e: d.hilario at outsideheaven.com