[rpd] IPv4 Soft Landing-bis Statement Post AFRINIC-26

John Ngwoke john.ngwoke at unn.edu.ng
Fri Jun 16 09:39:39 UTC 2017

====|
an organization that has received the maximum allowable prefix in each
phase may request for another round of allocation/assignment in the
same phase after a 24 calendar months waiting period.
|=====

+1

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Lydea Akiriza <akirizal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another +1!
>
> On 16 Jun 2017 12:20 pm, "Noah" <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
>

>> On 16 Jun 2017 9:13 a.m., "Jackson Muthili" <jacksonmuthi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The proposal IPv4 Soft Landing BIS only needs one more input to make it
>> perfect.
>>
>> That input should come from the just withdrawn Soft Landing SD as follows:
>>
>> ====|
>> an organization that has received the maximum allowable prefix in each
>> phase may request for another round of allocation/assignment in the
>> same phase after a 24 calendar months waiting period.
>> |=====
>>
>> With this addition it has my full support (also add the /24 minimum back).
>>
>> Due to urgency of need of this proposal to cap abusers with negative
>> interests of our region depleting our pool and hence negating fair and
>> equitable distribution of this last block I request that co-chairs
>> immediately vary the process for quick approval of this proposal
>> (BIS-SD or whatever both parties will call it)
>>

>> +1 jackson

>> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Omo Oaiya <Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net> wrote:
>> > Dear Community,
>> >
>> > On 9 February 2016, we initiated a policy proposal to update the IPv4
>> Soft
>> > Landing policy (SL) adopted in 2011 and which followed the Global IPv4
>> soft
>> > landing policy that granted the 102/8 to AFRINIC in February 2011
>> >
>> > The existing Soft landing policy defines how to fairly distribute the
>> 102/8
>> > and other remaining v4 space to support a smooth transition to IPv6.  It
>> > defines 2 phases (phase 1 and Phase 2) and keep a reserve of /12 for
>> > unforeseen future. More detail at
>> > http://www.afrinic.net/library/policies/1829-afrinic-consoli
>> dated-policy-manual#SoftLanding
>> >
>> > The IPv4 Softlanding-Bis (SL-Bis) proposal aimed to make the
>> distribution
>> > more equitable based on AFRINIC IPv4 allocation/assignment statistics.
>> It
>> > stayed in the spirit of the Soft Landing policy (Need based allocations,
>> > fair distribution, no limit on request from members) with the following
>> > changes:
>> >
>> > - reduce the max allocation/assignment in phase 1 from /13 to  /18
>> ([latest
>> > version]
>> >
>> > - change nothing in Phase 2
>> >
>> > - remove the minimum allocation of /24 and empower staff to determine
>> the
>> > minimum as we go through the exhaustion and the transition to IPv6
>> >
>> > - cancel the unforeseen future reserve(to be used at BoD discretion) and
>> > create a dedicated reserve  for IPv6 deployment[ latest version] :
>> >
>> > - allocation/assignment to root ops and  African ccTLDs operating in the
>> > region for dual stack  DNS servers
>> >
>> > - v4 space for new comers with IPv6 network for 464XLAT/ transition
> [...]

*John C. Ngwoke (JP)*Head, Network section
ICT

*University of Nigeria*Nsukka 410001
*web: http://www.unn.edu.ng <http://www.unn.edu.ng/>*
*Mobile: +2348035723901, +23407017059403*
*Skype:  john.ngwoke*