[rpd] Thinking of soft landing... and IPv6 Deployment

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Wed Jun 7 12:00:03 UTC 2017

> On 07 Jun 2017, at 10:51, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:
>
> Thinking of soft landing, and having just completed Mukom's IPv6
> deployment challenge survey, my idle thought of the day;
>
> Firstly - no soft landing proposal should include promises of the member
> getting or deploying IPv6. What is should do though is:
>
> Unless you are a brand new members who has no resources of any kind, all
> requests for additional IPv4 space must be made from the members IPv6
> address space. i.e. - the e-mail request must come from one of the
> members e-mail servers to AFRINIC over IPv6 transport from an IPv6
> address belonging to that member. If the request is web based - then it
> must come from a device using that members IPv6 address space.
>
> (You have to have deployed IPv6 far enough in order to ask for
> additional IPv4 address space.)
>
> This should be technically very easy to check for.
>
> Objections?

why don’t you also incorporate a BCP-38 check in that too?  caida’s even written the code for you [1] so there is little for staff to do.
and, how about making sure that they don’t have any listings in open-[dns|ntp|snmp|chargen]-project ?

after all, if they can’t look after the space they already have, why should they get more?

/smh …

—n.

[1]  http://caida.org/projects/spoofer/