[rpd] Fwd: Our Cameroon case as one case study in solving an Internet shutdown in a country.

Janvier NGNOULAYE jnoulaye at gmail.com
Tue May 30 14:14:12 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Janvier NGNOULAYE <jnoulaye at gmail.com>
Date: 2017-05-30 16:29 GMT+03:00
Subject: Our Cameroon case as one case study in solving an Internet
shutdown in a country.
To: ais17-announce at internetsummitafrica.org, General Discussions of AFRINIC
<community-discuss at afrinic.net>

Our  Cameroon case as one case study in solving an Internet shutdown in a
country.
The facts:
- in november 2016 the government  of Cameroon shut down Internet in two
regions in Cameroon
- in december I convened the  ISOC Chapter Officers meeting  to noting and
deploring that government action,
- in january 2017, I convened the Chapter board meeting to reacting against
that action of the government, that board meeting ended up with 2 main
actions: - a) one statement in line with the ISOC vision,  -b) and a letter
to the government through the Minister of telecommunications. You can read
that statement below, which had been sent to  various  mailing lists. The 2
pages letter sent to the government mentionned the impact of that shutting
down on the national economy, with the advices, recommandations and
training tracks, to solve the issue for the sake of every stakeolder. (I
can share that letter  to the government with you inbox)
- As the Chapter is part of the steering committee of the Internet exchange
point of Cameroon (CAMIX), I also raised the issue with the ISP during one
of the CAMIX monthly meeting, where the members strongly supported that
Chapter statement on the matter.
- At the same time, other national civil organizations and abroad also
raised up the statement against that suspension of the Internet.
- With all these actions, the governement removed the suspension of
Internet  in April and today the Internet is working every where around the
country.
 A lesson learn here is that, as an ISOC Chapter, we did not only  make a
statement against the suspension, but we also met the goverment and  the
ISP with advices and practical recommandations. In the meantime, we did not
make any insult word to them because of  their action. Our approch was more
collaborative with all the stakeolders.

Unfortunately some misinformation and misunderstanding have been circulated
saying that I supported the suspension of the Internet. Please, do not
trust  thoses wrong informations on me.  My committement so far is  to work
and will  continue to work for the open access of Internet for everyone and
erverywhere as well  at the national and regional  level as  at global
level.
Hopefuly  that this mail clarified everything now .

I remain at your disposal to give more details you may need.
Warm regards

Dr. Janvier Ngnoulaye
Senior Lecturer of Computer Science and Educational technology
University of Yaounde I, Cameroon
Executive Committee member of the Internet Exchange Point of Cameroon
President of ISOC Cameroon Chapter
Tel: +237 677 72 03 34 <6%2077%2072%2003%2034>