[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Fri Apr 14 15:18:19 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,
At 02:33 14-04-2017, Andrew Alston wrote:
>And yes – we know there are consequences – but
>let us also look aat the reverse side of the
>consequences – to do nothing and have the
>internet shutdown – how many people losee their
>jobs when ISPs no longer have revenue coming in
>to pay those people?  How much damage is done to
>the user on the ground when the internet is shut
>down?  The stats are out that 2.4 billion
>dollars haemorrhaged out of economies due to
>shutdowns, what are the consequences of doing nothing in that regard?

The french version of the last sentence in (3)
is: veuillez noter que le "texte envoyé" [1]
n'est ni une suggestion ni une proposition quant
a la meilleur  façon de procéder.

   1. Is the 2.4 billion dollars an estimate of the economic damage in
      Africa?

   2. Are there any statistics about the number of persons residing in
      Africa and employed by members of Afrinic Ltd who lost their job
      because of an internet shutdown?

   3. Have the authors of the proposal considered the implications of
      the "sent text"?  Please note that the "sent text" [1] is neither a
      suggestion nor proposal as to the best course of action.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2017/006646.html