[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Arnaud AMELINA amelnaud at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 07:56:41 UTC 2017

> **wearing no hats**
>
> On 13 April 2017 at 01:54, Honest Ornella GANKPA <honest1989 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I believe it would not
>

> a) 90% or more of AFRINIC staff is based in Mauritius
> b) 80% or more of the tools these staff use every day to work for members
> are based in Mauritius
> c) A shutdown in Mauritius will mean
>        - none of the tools are available
>        - no communication can be had with members
>        - you won't be able to raise a resource request, fix a problem with
> your resources
>
> that's just Mauritius.
> Consider an Internet Shutdown in South Africa where AFRINIC Datacenter is
> .... i'll let you work out the impact of that.

Hmmm! Very bad observation, do you want to confirm us through this
observation that Afrinic has no system of redundancy and did not foresee in
the case just where the Internet was cut in Mauritius. It is dangerous
that, I then call Afrinic technical staff to kindly from this day put
himself in condition to set up a backup in case of this has not been done
yet.

Regards