[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Wed Apr 12 13:08:48 UTC 2017

I think we might be over stepping our mandate.

As much as one might try to understand the intent.

AFRINIC IS NOT A POLICING BODY.
WE DISTRIBUTE NUMBER RESOURCES TO MEMBERS.

WE DEVELOP POLICIES TO HELP THE TECHNICAL OPERATION AND SUSTAINABILITY OF THE INTERNET.

Now one might fully agree with the intent of the authors but this policy would work well at the ITU, UN or even AU but not AFRINIC.

On a practical side it has too many subjective conditions.  Each government has different policies and reasons why they do certain actions.

Who will be the judge ??

What legal protection does AFRINIC have from aggrieved third parties when they do enforce any part of 13.1. To a particular counrty and it causes financial loss to a business ??

In summary lets focus on our TECHNICAL mandate and leave the politics to the other international organisations.

Regards

Badru