[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 13:20:17 UTC 2017

**wearing NO hat**

On 12 April 2017 at 14:02, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mukom,
>
> Understood, i raised this point because i am aware of the fact that it has
> not been easy to get the Afrinic Government working group going and this
> could be a great area of engaging this group since most of the shutdowns
> can be attributed to lack of knowledge by key actors and sheer ignorance.

The job of building capacity with governments is important and definitely
will continue - not just from AFRINIC, but also from other stake-holders -
irrespective of the outcome of this proposal. But that's a side issue.

> As a key stakeholder it would be  great idea to include them in this
> conversation.

I don't see any attempt to exclude them. The AFRINIC PDP is open to all.
Each and every person that has ever been to the AFGWG knows about this
mailing list and how to take part in it. I'm hoping that they are following
and we'll be seeing contributions from them soon (some already have
responded)

My point was that there's no room in the PDP for the community to wait
ad-infinitum for a response from them.

> The proposal is well intentioned but the outcome might be in the interest
> of proponents of Internet shutdowns.

It would greatly enhance this discussion if you could state how this will
be in their interest.

--

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran