[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Apr 12 03:15:28 UTC 2017

Hi SM,

Firstly, there is no link between the statement issued by the board of directors and this policy.  This policy was written by individuals who have strong views on the subject and have a belief in standing for a free and open internet.  It was driven by what we are seeing happening around the globe and the ever increasing violation of the what we consider a human right, the access to be able to communicate freely and openly.

Secondly, on the economic damage, as was already posted, please see https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/intenet-shutdowns-v-3.pdf

With regards to your third question – that particular clause is an interesting one – and we are quite open to a better definition there – what we were attempting to do was ensure that states who lost their resources couldn’t simply do an end run around the policy by using third party organizations for supply of said resources.  It is not the ideal wording for that clause and it probably needs some wordsmithing, and we’re open to ideas, but the idea is to ensure that those who attempt to assist government in making a run around the policy face consequences as well.  Let us debate how we can best accomplish this.

The authors are happy to engage with all segments of the community in wordsmithing this policy – we realize it is a sensitive subject and this is a first draft – we’re more than happy to take suggestions to tighten it and to add clarifications etc, we are also more than happy to add further co-authors who wish to assist us in this endeavor.  Let us debate and discuss and come to something that is mutually agreeable by all

Thanks

Andrew