[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

caleb olumuyiwa muyiwacaleb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 20:28:50 UTC 2017

I wish to strongly give my support for this policy and commend the authors
of the policy for coming up with a very purposeful policy like this.
You recall the different reported cases of abuses that led to shutting down
the Internet in some parts of Africa which is worrisome and calls for great
concern to us as a community.
While most African countries are concerned with Internet penetration to the
rural community so as to help those communities reach out and have a better
socioeconomic lifestyle, some African countries are busy shutting down the
Internet for no particular reason such that it affects the basic human
rights of freedom of expression.
If we as a community can rise up to come up with this corrective measures
to aid the freedom of Internet , we can all live in a better world.
With no intention of endorsing this brand specifically, I wish to call your
attention this advert which has gone in my country.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9QOKJ0FGk90
*The two minutes video is about a world without the Internet and ability to
reach out for help in a lost island. *
Let's make the world and by extension the AFRINIC region  a better place by
supporting this policy, engaging stakeholders and the community.
Above all, let's make sure the those who abuse this basic human rights are
made to be accountable for their actions.

*Ogundele Caleb *
University of Ibadan

Sent from my Nokia 3310😀😀😀