[rpd] Report of the Soft Landing isuue

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Mar 21 06:01:50 UTC 2017

Barrack,

Just to clarify my standing.

The authors of the policy that was withdrawn are currently of the opinion that the status quo is acceptable due to the vast lack of consensus on both of the previous policies.  It is our view that the differences in those are such that attempting to revise the current soft landing policy at this late stage of the game, considering we are likely to be IN soft landing phase by the time the next PDP meeting comes serves little purpose.

I do not know if work is being done on the other policy that was meant to be withdrawn and has not been - it is possible that it is.  However, I very much doubt that in the form that that policy sits it will find any form of consensus, and I am now questioning the wisdom of attempting to change the current policy at this point in the game when we need to face reality - the original soft landing policy was debating ad nauseum for 3 years before consensus was found.  The current proposal is no closer than that was in the early phases.  If we are going to spend 3 years debating a policy the space will be gone by the time we get around to amending it - and I really believe this will happen.  As such, are we not better off saying, we have a status quo, we have a policy that took 3 years to formulate, and we accept the status quo and stop worrying about v4 and get on with what needs to be done - proper policy work around v6 and other such things.

I strongly and wholeheartedly believe that we are also sitting in a situation where far more work needs to be concentrated on things like transfer policies, because the current status is that there are organisations in Africa who are already participating in the transfer market (as purchasers not sellers), and they are doing it through RIPE memberships - because we have no policy that allows them to do it via AfriNIC.  All this does is deprive AfriNIC of members and ends up depriving AfriNIC of revenue while driving our African members towards RIPE.  And I *KNOW* this has been happening because I know of organisations that HAVE purchased space on the secondary market and done it through RIPE memberships.

So in my view - I don't believe that concentrating more work on the soft landing policy is either necessary or justified - I believe that our efforts are better focused elsewhere - and I also do not believe at this point that we as a community are likely to achieve consensus on touching that policy based on past history around these policies - and by the time we do - the new policy will serve little point

Andrew