[rpd] Statement from the authors of Soft Landing Overhall (AFPUB-2016-V4-002-DRAFT01)

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Mon Dec 12 20:02:08 UTC 2016

Is there any policy that has ever been proposed through consultation of the wider community.  Last I checked, all the policies were and are proposed by individuals without a wider consultation from the wider community and the community only comes in after the authors have submitted their proposal. It has always been the norm.

This approach you propose intends to cause unnecessary stalemate similar to the situations where folk decide to come up with counter policies against other policy proposals as a way of disagreement  thereby confusing and wasting the communities time which is counter-productive hence the current deadlock.

Noah,

Your first paragraph contradicts your second paragraph.  You are correct – no one has ever attempted the approach I am now suggesting – and perhaps if we had it would have avoided the many failed policies that have hit the floor or the massive time to get a policy passed.  Your second statement is that the approach I suggest causes stalemate and leads to certain situations.  That is unfounded, because by your own admission, it has never been attempted before and therefore you cannot make a statement about what it will lead to.

Just because something has always been done one way – does not mean we should not try an alternative if the current method is failing us, and I would argue based on what we have seen over the last few years, the current way of doing things is not working nearly as well as it should be, so lets try something new?

Andrew