[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Update to Resources review policy proposal

Dewole Ajao dewole at forum.org.ng
Wed Nov 16 09:51:56 UTC 2016

I think all policies (if we really intend to implement them) must be
clear and leave no room for variable interpretation as ambiguity will
put additional burdens of interpretation on staff.

If the community's preference is for the 24-month window to become
invalid on allocation/assignment of new resources, then the policy
(proposal) should state it clearly; If on the other hand, the intention
is for the 24-month window to stay in place come-what-may, it's better
for the policy (proposal) to be explicit about it.

Please see below, additional questions for the community to consider.
Hopefully, they can be discussed and the authors can (if they so
choose,) take the inputs from the community into their modified proposal.

3.3.2 Selected:

A member is selected because of an internal report or due to a lack of
contact between the AFRINIC and the member.

Q1. Do we presently have an existing (effective) structure (apart from
billing) that measures degree of contact with members?
If there is no agreed means of measuring the degree contact, we need to
define degrees of contact so that "lack of contact" (as referred to in
the proposal) can be measured objectively.

/Perhaps as a first step for ensuring regular contact without using up
too many resources, this proposal might want to borrow a leaf from
RIPE's Assisted Registry Check (ARC). See
https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/resource-management/assisted-registry-check/

/Basically, the RIR does a consistency check on members'//Registry,
Resource, and Route/rDNS information and then//sends emails to the
contacts on file showing their view. They then schedule a telephone call
to work with the member and fix any identified issues. //
/

/My understanding from RIPE is that these non-invasive checks sometimes
reveal issues that may warrant more detailed investigation. The primary
model is by random checks but done in a manner that checks every member
at least once in 3 years //(given the size of RIPE)//. They also have
ARCs that are initiated as a result of information received from the
member or third parties. /

Q2. Can reachability/cooperation of a member for such a consistency
check-and-fix activity as described above be used to measure the degree
of contact?

Q3. Given the fact that time taken for consistency checks are more
predictable, can these be implemented as a preliminary step in
addressing the "lack of investigation" problem as well as the concern
about taking up much of members' and/or AFRINIC hostmasters' time?

Regards,
Dewole.
(with apologies for continuing the cross-posting between RPD and
Community-discuss)