[rpd] Summary of proposals: IPv4 Runout Management

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Thu Nov 10 08:38:51 UTC 2016

> On 10 Nov 2016, at 07:43, Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 11/10/2016 4:20 AM, Omo Oaiya wrote:
>> How do you explain the secondary market in ARIN region?   A new use for
>> IPv4 addresses?
>
> I think it's a case of
> - someone having something (IPs) they don't need
> - someone else needing something (IPs) they don't have
>
> the first one is uncommon in Africa.
> The second one can currently be (more easily?) satisfied by AfriNIC
> (they have more available IPs than ARIN)
>
> It's not new use. It's use by someone else.
> It's not "unanticipated use".
>
> I thought that was clear.

Hmmm ….so the secondary market was anticipated despite the 25 years of warning or the nearly 3 years since IANA ran out of space that Owen highlighted.  So much that it is still the topical issue

Yet, you would like me to accept that AFRINIC will be super innovative and will not need IPv4 in in 2 years or so it will take the last /8 to run out once we hit soft landing; and let a minority have all of what’s left.

No sir …not clear to me at all.

-Omo