[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Let's chat about unannounced v6 space!

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Mon Oct 17 20:00:14 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,
At 01:37 16-10-2016, Andrew Alston wrote:
>Now – some notes about the stuff on the page
>below – firstly this is generated by processing
>the routing tables from only one global view –
>there is a possibility that something is
>announced that for some reason is not in the
>table I’m checking on generation – but I’d say its pretty unlikely.
>
>Secondly, there are IXP prefix’s on this page
>because there is no way to easily identify an
>Internet Exchange Point and remove them.  If
>there are IXP’s on that list that would like me
>to put a manual whitelist to remove their
>prefix’s from that page in entirety – let me
>know what the IXP is and what the prefix is and I can do that.
>
>Thirdly – While I’ve done what I can to retrieve
>the allocation dates from the delegated file,
>for some reason certain things are in the whois
>database but not in the delegated file – this
>may be because of sub-allocations though I’m not
>100% certain, once I figure this out I might be
>able to fix this as well – call it a bug right now.
>
>Forth – ALL THIS INFORMATION WAS DERIVED FROM
>PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE DATA AND THE GLOBAL TABLE
>
>With all that said – I present to you the list
>of people who have IPv6 but aren’t even announcing it:
>
>http://server.alstonnetworks.net/unannounced.html

It is nice of you to make the statistics publicly
available.  I did a quick check for some of the
IPv6 prefixes which were allocated around 10
years ago.  There weren't any BGP announcements
for those IPv6 prefixes.  There are currently 604
IPv6 prefixes which have been allocated or
assigned.  According to the web page (17/10/2016
04:55:14pm GMT+3) 396 IPv6 prefixes were
unannounced.  There are valid reasons not to
announce an IPv6 prefix.  It's unusual that there
are currently that many unannounced IPv6 prefixes.

I did a search for the "African Internet
Resources and Routing Statistics".  Is it still working?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy