[rpd] Policy Proposal Update - IPv4 Soft Landing-bis

John Hay jhay at meraka.csir.co.za
Sun Aug 28 20:41:13 UTC 2016

On 28 August 2016 at 19:22, <sm+afrinic at elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
> At 04:41 27-08-2016, John Hay wrote:
>
>> Should it be about the company or what they want to do with it? Is a big
>> allocation because you want to connect a lot of users worse than a small
>> allocation connecting a few users? It does not seem fair either.
>>

> A large organization is one which pays Afrinic Ltd over US $22,500
> annually.  The existing policies do not get into what that large
> organization (or company) wishes to do with the large allocation, e.g. will
> it be used by an internet service provider to service its residential users?

But the current policies for LIR and End User allocation do use "justify"
and % utilization immediately or within a set period. So for AfriNIC to be
able to assess that, they need to know what is going to be done with it?

> An answer to the second question is it is not a problem if Liquid Telecom
> is using those addresses to connect a large number of its customers in
> Kenya as that is what those addresses are supposed to be for.  What if
> there is a small internet service provider in another African country
> trying to do the same?  It is not a problem.

So is large end users the problem? How many large end user assignment
requests do AfriNIC get?

> So I guess a question should be, how much do we want to stretch our
>> reserve of IPv4 space? If we stretch it too much, we will still have left
>> when nobody wants it anymore.
>>

> Yes.
>
>  If that happens because we denied allocation requests along the way, was
>> that fair to them? If we don't stretch it enough and we run out earlier, we
>> are kind of in the same boat as the rest of the world.
>>

> The decision(s) will have a financial impact on Afrinic Ltd in future.

I would hope that as usage move from IPv4 to IPv6, AfriNIC will adjust
their fees? More and more devices use addresses, so the need for address
space is not going to go away.

Regards

John