[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Tue Jun 28 16:25:30 UTC 2016

Hi Amreesh,
At 05:13 28-06-2016, Amreesh Phokeer wrote:
>I think this makes much sense, may be we can also make a subtle
>difference between adoption
>and readiness. Adoption can be measured through deployment and
>usage, readiness is more qualitative
>and can be answered through surveys, for e.g. do the operators have
>IPv6 ready networks equipment,
>how IPv6-saavy are they? What percentage of CPEs are IPv6 compatible?

I would choose adoption instead of surveys as there would at least be
some figures about actual usage.  However, it is not my choice as
this is a decision for the Afrinic Research and Innovation Department to take.

[snip]

>To this may I also add:
>
>DNS
>- How many DNS resolvers in Africa are requesting AAAA records
>- Prevalence of AAAA records on African ccTLD zones
>- How much of DNS queries are done over IPv6
>
>Topology
>- How are the different ASes in the region connected to each other over IPv6
>- How much IPv6 traffic is going through African IXPs
>
>On the edge
>- can we measure end-hosts IPv6 capabilities?
>- can we measure usage of tunnelling mechanisms

My estimate is that it should be possible to get some figures for the
above within a week.    For example, the monthly maximum for IPv4 and
IPv6 traffic for the local IXP at my location is less than 50
Mb/s.  I did a test for the ccTLD zone and there were AAAA records.

I suggest giving some of what you wrote a try and making the details
publicly available.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy